Merry Christmas and winter update

News of recoveries, restorations and run-up to opening day

Merry Christmas and winter update

Postby Lucien Nunes » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:57 am

Large numbers of small filament lamps connected in series once again signal that it is Christmas! Storms seem to have been the unique selling point of this years' festivities; people are out there fixing the distribution network in all weathers when they should be at home eating turkey etc, so they get my vote of thanks.

We have been in a holding pattern here for a few months, due mainly to Dave and I having some external commitments that have limited our availability, and we are not yet at the stage where much can go on without one of us being around. All is not totally dormant though, a few interesting opportunities have come up, I will post pics of things as we find out more about them. We have pledged to restart preparations for the open day, which I will stick my neck out again and say ought to be late summer 2014. To use a scientific analogy, there is a certain minimum 'activation energy' for a project like Electrokinetica, below which you can't produce any visible results at all, and above which it takes off like a rocket. We need the bunsen burner turned up to 11 to reach this point!

In the meantime, hopefully everyone will have a chance to enjoy the rest of the holidays without too many of the little lamps going open-circuit...

Regards
Lucien
Black was always meant to be a phase. The neutral phase.
Lucien Nunes

Re: Merry Christmas and winter update

Postby glowinganode » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Seasons greetings to you and the team.
Indeed my thoughts go out to all the linesmen keeping the lights on.
Do keep us posted on any working parties as I am, and I'm sure others are, keen to get involved.
All the best for 2014.

Cheers,
Rob.
glowinganode

Postby Lucien Nunes » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi Rob

Thanks for the offer of help - here's a preview of operations for when we resume in January (not necessarily in this order):
Collect remote sub panel from Littlebrook D. Requires a few man-days on site to dismantle, then roll out onto a 7.5 tonner.
Take delivery of 4 panels of 11kV switchgear. Best done as part of a lift'n'shift weekend at the museum as they are best dropped straight into position.
Move 2 container loads of small / medium items to store, can be done piecemeal by van or en bloc with 7.5t. Lots of handballing, no fork access. Racking to be erected.
Big shift-around of heavy plant at museum, to put Belliss genset and other >2t items into place. Needs Edward & crane, probably long weekend for four people.
At same time, clear out about 40 pallets of misc clutter from main display areas to storage.
Start building stage and lighting bars.

Wants:
Lots of scaff & fittings
Old-type Hi-Lo racking uprights 2-2.5m high
Magic machine that converts water into diesel...
Black was always meant to be a phase. The neutral phase.
Lucien Nunes

Postby Kevin Wood » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:19 am

Merry Christmas all.

Yes, the backup batteries got a good workout here, with power off for most of the 23rd and only returning mid-afternoon on the 24th. There was an element of the preparation for Christmas dinner which occurred on a camping Gaz hob perched atop a defunct induction hob! Present wrapping by candle light was aborted due to the fire hazard!

There have been a few more short cuts here over the last week, according to the server's log, presumably as things get juggled around as more rural faults occur and get fixed. Someone has indeed had a very busy Christmas keeping the lights on - so many of them are lacking filaments in favour of gaudy blue LEDs, though, Bah! Humbug!

Look forward to hopefully being able to help out in 2014.

Kevin
Kevin Wood

Return to EK museum news