Littlebrook control room recovery

News of recoveries, restorations and run-up to opening day

Littlebrook control room recovery

Postby Lucien Nunes » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:32 pm

After a long time away from the front line, I'm pleased to say that the EK lift'n'shift dept is back in action. Dave and I have both had other commitments that have made it difficult to progress much so far this year but last week saw a return to form with the recovery of the Littlebrook power station standby control room equipment. We now have our very own substation control panel, that previously controlled the old 66kV and later 132kV air-insulated installation at the Littlebrook site near the Dartford Thames crossing. This has recently been upgraded to gas-insulated, making the control panel and its more modern replacement redundant. Nigel Godden, a senior engineer at the station responsible for commissioning the new equipment, kindly arranged for us to obtain the redundant plant for conservation including the early multiplexed link that tied the new panel in the operational D-station to the original.

I'll do a feature on this installation when Richard and I do some website upgrades; in the meantime here are a few pics from the move, carried out by Edward (& his crane), Bernard, Dave and myself, along with Nigel who kindly lent a hand to speed things along.

Lucien
Attachments
Main panel.jpg
The main control panel with 132kV section to left, original alarms and clocks centre, 66kV to right
Main panel.jpg (132.02 KiB) Viewed 18214 times
132kv Section.jpg
Closer view of part of the 132kV side of the panel
132kv Section.jpg (189.52 KiB) Viewed 18214 times
Craning 66kV.jpg
66kV panel leaves the building for the first time in many years. This is the older and simpler part of the panel
Craning 66kV.jpg (186.77 KiB) Viewed 18214 times
Loading 66kV.jpg
Edward nudges the 66kV section into place on the lorry using his remote control. Part of 132kV sub visible in the background
Loading 66kV.jpg (147.04 KiB) Viewed 18214 times
Complete panel in position.jpg
The panel in its new home, standing on blocks to allow final positioning to take place
Complete panel in position.jpg (180.18 KiB) Viewed 18214 times
Black was always meant to be a phase. The neutral phase.
Lucien Nunes

Return to EK museum news